First things first. This is not a definitive list so sorry if your favourite site is not included. It is not comprehensive, very subjective and not an all-encompassing-list-of-every-travel-website-that-ever-was.
But it isn’t a half-bad list for all that, a recognition of sites that have shown real innovation during 2007 and which have launched or improved their offerings to become truly worthy of being added to a favourites list.
Most have cropped in our regular Website of the Week features, and we link through to those reviews which have appeared on the site during 2007. The 50 are not necessarily ranked in any order.
But we still invite your comments and recommendations because there will inevitably be some that even we are not aware of. Shame on us.
And if you want a guide to more websites that can be more prosaic but none the less incredibly helpful, then read the Times Online top 100 travel websites.
Between these, we hope we’ve got it covered….
4. Mylifeoftravel.com – Another networking site in travel but one that shows big promise. And it’s UK-based too
6. Realtravel.com – If you like to meticulously plan and record your journeys, this is an attractive and free place to do it
7. Wayn.com - The world’s biggest travel community, with more than 8m members, this was its big year to date
12. Travolution.blogspot.com – the most useful list of travel-related blogs around?
18. Welove2ski.com – A new kid on the wintersports scene this winter, but we know the Ed and he knows his snow
20. Blacktomato.co.uk - From nowhere to everyone’s favourite top-breaks-with-ideas-and-style site
26. Simplyparking.com - Another comparison site, and this one does what it says on the tin, comparing airport parking prices with reviews
27. Vroomvroomvroom.co.uk – good new site comparing car rental prices
SLEEP AND SHOP
30. Itravelishop - An excellent shopping guide and hotel review site we use regularly
31. I-escape.com - One of the original style hotel sites goes from strength to strength, adding an Argentina section this winter
33. Gridskipper.com - an excellent urban travel site. Probably the best city style guide on the web
36. Hostelz.com - Views of your fellow travellers of hostels on this handy, simple and effective site. Very useful
37. YHA.org.uk – A new site in 2007 for this hugely growing sector of travel, youth hostels
38. BabyFriendlyBoltholes - There are other family travel advice sites but this was the freshest and most useful to emerge in 2007
41. Coolhunter.com – Eye candy, great fun, stunning images – recent features have been on a Swiss ski chalet and best outdoor hotel pools
AND 5 SITES TO WATCH IN 2008
46. WorldReviewer.com – Another social networking site in travel which claims it will have 100 experts. Promising start
47. CruiseCritic.co.uk – The US-site site has spun off a British version and is looking for an editor. Bright prospects
48. Travelmag.co.uk – There will be a host of travel writing sites launching in 2008. This, from Jack Barker, is one of them
49. Travelintelligence.net – The travel writing, hotel review and booking site has a new editor and is about to get a huge facelift
50. Gowander.com – Just launched: a new social networking site from one of the best independent travel magazines in the UK